Stopping Auto Rotate

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
Andrew H

Hello

In my controller I have a button which toggles Auto Rotate. No problem there and it works just fine.

But I also have a 'Home' button, which when clicked returns the pano to the default view (i.e. to the pan, tilt and zoom settings effective when the pano finished loading). I would like this button also to stop Auto Rotate if the latter is running. And there I have a problem, as the only action available to me, as far as I can see, is 'Toggle Auto Rotate'. That's fine if Auto Rotate is active, but if it is not it starts it - not what I want to happen.

So, Thomas, is there any chance of a 'Stop Auto Rotate' (and also maybe a 'Start Auto Rotate') action in the next version of the skin editor, please?

Or can someone think of an alternative way to achieve this?

Regards

Andrew
JeffN

not sure if this would work, but if you added an action to the home button:
mouse click = hide element = Target:( auto rotate).
That might work?
Otherwise, your right, I didn't see anything else. A stop rotate button would help.
Andrew H

JeffN wrote:not sure if this would work, but if you added an action to the home button:
mouse click = hide element = Target:( auto rotate).
Thanks for the suggestion, JeffN. I've just tried it and it doesn't seem to work - I'm not sure if that's a valid argument in the Target field?

If you're reading this, Thomas, any chance of a 'Stop Auto Rotate' action being implemented, please?

Regards

Andrew
Andrew H

Hello again

While on the subject of Auto Rotate, could the chosen 'Pan Speed' setting for Auto Rotate be embedded in the final .swf file even if 'Enable Auto Rotate' is not initially selected in Pano2VR? Then, if the publisher of the pano includes a button in the skin to allow a viewer to start Auto Rotate this setting for Pan Speed would be honoured. I think I'm right that at present a default speed, over which the publisher has no control, is used if 'Enable Auto Rotate' is not initially selected.

Regards

Andrew
wst

hello

you could try the following:

1. you need 3 buttons: first to toggle autorotate, second to go home, third to go home + toggle autorotate
2. the trick is to place second and third button in the same place and with the same image, so that user dont see the difference between them
3. action for first button is toggle autorotate, toggle visibility of 2nd button and toggle visibility of 3rd button - all on mouse click
4. action for second is just go home
edit: 5. action for third is go home, toggle autorotate, hide itself and show second button

I attach my sample skin. For clarity, 'go home' button is just home image, 'go home + toggle rotate' is home image with circle arrow in it; of course they should be the same in final output.

cheers

on assumption that autorotate is off at startup
edit: sorry, I missed autorotate i point 5 ;-)
Attachments
home_and_autorotate.ggsk
(22.17 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
Andrew H

Hello again

Thank-you very much, wst, for your kind suggestion of a workaround to my problem with my 'Home' button and your sample skin, and I can see that this will work.

However, I do have an associated problem relating to the lack of an explicit 'Stop Auto Rotate' action and the current inability to control the speed of rotation if Auto Rotate is not enabled at the time of creating a pano's .swf file. The skin for my current project links to a number of panos which the user can select from a map. I would like each pano to turn really slowly, and for the rotation not to start until the user clicks an 'Auto Rotate' button in my skin. To achieve this I have been enabling Auto Rotate at the time of creating each pano, with my required speed selected, but turning rotation off at runtime immediately each pano loads by assigning a 'Toggle Auto Rotate' action with source 'Loaded' to my loading bar, which also has a 'Reload' action assigned to ensure that it appears as each pano is loading.

This seems to works fine, but with one exception - if at any time the user reselects the first pano, i.e. the one which loaded at startup, the loading bar does not reappear, and therefore the 'Loaded' action does not get triggered and the pano reopens and rotates. It's as if this first pano is cached in memory and doesn't need to reload. Anybody know if this is the case, please?

It does seem, though, that all my difficulties with auto rotate would be solved by the inclusion of that 'Stop Auto Rotate' action. Any chance, please, Thomas?

Regards

Andrew
JeffN

I have been enabling Auto Rotate at the time of creating each pano, with my required speed selected, but turning rotation off at runtime immediately each pano loads by assigning a 'Toggle Auto Rotate' action
Andrew,
I'm having a similar but different problem.
I get the "assigning a Toggle Auto Rotate action" here, but what are you actually doing when you say "but turning rotation off at runtime"?
You said that you have the mode set to auto rotate in creating the swf. How are you able to turn it off?

JeffN
Andrew H

JeffN wrote:
You said that you have the mode set to auto rotate in creating the swf. How are you able to turn it off?

JeffN
Hello JeffN

In Pano2VR I'm enabling auto rotate and setting a slow speed, as follows -
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (23.7 KiB) Viewed 6976 times
Then in the skin editor I assign Source: 'Loaded', Action: 'Toggle Auto Rotate' to an item (in the very basic example below it's the background image for a very simple loading panel).

This works OK in this example, and also works if the skin contains links to other panoramas, but seems to fail if the same panorama is reloaded during the same viewing session.

If in Pano2VR we could assign the Auto Rotate parameters and still have them applied to the .swf file even if the 'Enable auto rotation' checkbox is left unticked the above workaround would become redundant.

Regards

Andrew
Attachments
stopAutoRotateExample.ggsk
(33.64 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
Carel

Add me to the list for a "stop auto rotate" switch (separate from "toogle auto rotate"). Auto rotation is very demanding of the CPU and browsers like FF. So if you open a new window while something is still auto rotating on another page, expect trouble. FireFox just crashed on me while I was opening another page while a pano was still rotating.

Carel Struycken