why does skin increase individual content file size?

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
stalwart

hi all,

look at this example:

http://www.360imagery.co.uk/VT/clowes/1 ... start.html

The above example includes 7 thumbnails, each optimised in Ps to 1kb jpegs, and 7 images, each optimised to 20kb jpegs, all to keep file size down. When I zip, and extract, the contents of the skin, the 20kb images have increased to 250kb files. Why?

Stu
stalwart

bump...

anyone...?? (Martin..??!!)
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Stu

just had a look at the problem :roll:
As far as file size change goes, I must put my hand up and say I have no idea.

Looking at it, all images are being converted to png format in the skin, so that’s going to bump up file size, but then adding a png does the same thing, I am wondering if Skin Editor bumps up the quality of the images. That’s only a guess.

Thomas is the only one that’s going to give you a proper answer.

I will still have a further look :)

Hopki :)
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
stalwart

Hopki wrote:Hi Stu

just had a look at the problem :roll:
As far as file size change goes, I must put my hand up and say I have no idea.

Looking at it, all images are being converted to png format in the skin, so that’s going to bump up file size, but then adding a png does the same thing, I am wondering if Skin Editor bumps up the quality of the images. That’s only a guess.

Thomas is the only one that’s going to give you a proper answer.

I will still have a further look :)

Hopki :)
Martin

Thanks for looking into this for me - and agreeing it isn't just me! Well, if you've got no suggestions, then only down to Thomas I guess!

Stu
thomas
Chief Gnome

Currently the images are always stored as PNG files within the skin and the outputted SWF because of an early design decision I made for the skin editor. I didn't expected to get that far with it but now this limits the usage.
One of the next major versions (I hope 2.3) will have the option to include raw JPEG images so that the size stays the same.
MfG, Thomas
stalwart

thomas wrote:Currently the images are always stored as PNG files within the skin and the outputted SWF because of an early design decision I made for the skin editor. I didn't expected to get that far with it but now this limits the usage.
One of the next major versions (I hope 2.3) will have the option to include raw JPEG images so that the size stays the same.
Thomas

Any idea of timing of this update? I've agreed this skin design with a couple of Clients who love the thumbnail layout.

10 optimised JPEG images @ 20kb each I, and the skin, can cope with. But when the skin editor bumps these JPEGs up to 250kb each as PNGs, therefore bloating the skin at least to over 2.5mb, and the resulting .swf file is equally as big, download speed is becoming a major issue.......I am having to tweak tile size, output quality etc to shave precious Kb's off output, and image quality is starting to suffer.......

Stu
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Stu
As a quick fix, why not have the 1 and 20 kB images externally loaded :?:
The skin would be tiny and if you set the images to show when loaded there would be no delay :wink:

Just means more files in the project folder :roll: , and when Thomas does sort it out you can then incorporate the images into the skin. :D

Cheers
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
stalwart

As a quick fix, why not have the 1 and 20 kB images externally loaded :?:
The skin would be tiny and if you set the images to show when loaded there would be no delay :wink:

Just means more files in the project folder :roll: , and when Thomas does sort it out you can then incorporate the images into the skin. :D

Cheers
Hopki

morning Martin,

Yep - had already thought of that - means alot of re-coding actions in the skin, but all I can do at the moment.

Stu
stalwart

Here's the same skin, but with the images externally loaded:

http://www.360imagery.co.uk/VT/lichfiel ... ld-04.html

no visual difference, but the skin is now 1.6mb, not 2.6mb with the PNG images embedded. The output SWF's are a healthier 1.7mb, as opposed to 3mb before.

Stu
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Stu

Good work, I must admit any large files I always load externally, as you say, cuts down load times.

Just an observation, the thumbnails and hotspots in the floor plan don’t match.
The tour starts off with the Nave Sanctuary, in the floor plan, the left-hand hotspot. The next hotspot in is the Crossing, however the next thumbnail in, is the Lady Chapel.

I would think it would only take two ticks to swap the thumbs around.

Also, how about a radar beam in the floor plan to give the viewer a sense of direction? Which could also have some indication where you are?

Just thinking out load

All the best Hopki :)
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
stalwart

Good work, I must admit any large files I always load externally, as you say, cuts down load times.

Just an observation, the thumbnails and hotspots in the floor plan don’t match.
The tour starts off with the Nave Sanctuary, in the floor plan, the left-hand hotspot. The next hotspot in is the Crossing, however the next thumbnail in, is the Lady Chapel.

I would think it would only take two ticks to swap the thumbs around.

Also, how about a radar beam in the floor plan to give the viewer a sense of direction? Which could also have some indication where you are?

Just thinking out load

All the best Hopki :)
morning Martin,

Thanks for the observation - will change accordingly.

Radar is one thing I haven't mastered yet - too busy tweaking everything else!!

Stu