coordination between radar direction and viewing parameters?

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
Bigwunder

Hello again everyone,
I have a quick question about getting the radar "fov" to line up with my panos. when I switch panos using the mini map the direction of the radar's field of view doesn't line up with my pano. Is there a way to make this happen? I have looked into trying to set the radar angle to the same as my viewing parameters on each pano but this doesn't seem to work. I know there is some discussion about this already on the forum, but I have not yet found an explanation that is dumbed down enough for me to understand. I am basically using the skin file from the park tutorial as my template and it has worked very well other than my radar field of view is way off compared to the direction my panos are lined up.
as always thanks in advance for any help with this opportunity to advance my knowledge base. :lol:
Bigwunder

Good morning,
I have a feeling that this post was not very clear in what it was asking or maybe I am just beating a dead horse. I have tried several tests since I posted this yesterday, and while I haven't really figured it out, I think I at least have a better understanding of my question.
It appears that in the skin editor I have the ability to affect my radar beam in 2 ways, the first would be to change angle of the beam itself under the radar parent. when I change this it seems to globally change all of the different setups, that is, the starting position or starting direction of the radar on each click-able node on the mini map. The second way is to change the radar beam angle under the button properties for each pano position. the problem with this is that when I change the angle that targets the radar beam for the button it doesn't seem to have any effect on the radar beam position after creating the swf.
the only thing that I know for sure is that the beam appears to be locked to the starting view that I set in the viewing parameters so if I try to line up my starting view with radar beam output from the last file I created then the whole thing rotates.
Maybe I am just missing a detail, it really seems like this should be an easy adjustment to make. when changing an angle in the button modifiers, how are the angles laid out is 12 o'clock 0 degrees, and 6 o'clock 180 degrees etc.? Its weird but it seems like I have seen some negative numbers in the angle fields of the example skin I downloaded.

If anyone has time to shed some light on this I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks a bunch,
Bill
Hopki
Gnome

Hi

Can you upload your skin so I can have a look?
Also how about a link to the Pano so I can see it working, that will help me.

Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Bigwunder

Alright,
I finally learned how to make a crude website so I could upload my panos, Please forgive me for the poor construction of the site I hope to become more proficient with dreamweaver next week. But anyway, I have up loaded a few panos, one in particular, is at http://www.bigwunder.com/RLSoffice/Rece ... no_out.swf. As you can see My radar beams are pointing in the opposite direction than the pano view in many of the rooms. I have tried to find the settings to fix this but can't seem to figure it out.

The most seemingly obvious place to set this is in the button properties
But I cannot make that work.

I'm not sure if you can base the radar angle on the viewing parameters in the main project screen or not, I have copied the pan tilt and fov to the button properties area too but that didn't seem to change anything

the only other place that I found to make an adjustment for an angle was in the container properties for the radar but I wouldn't think that that would work for each individual pano position.

Hope these pictures and website help explain my problem a little better, I will upload the skin file I am using as soon as I figure out how, can I load that to a post or do I need to put it on my website? LOL sorry I'm such a noob, good news is that I am learning fairly quickly............ well sort of. its like learning a new language, I can ask for the bathroom or a restaurant but I cant tell a joke or win an argument yet.

thanks in advance for any help,
Bill
Last edited by Bigwunder on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
360Texas

When you write a reply in the text box.. look below and find 2 tabs. "Options" and " Upload attachment".

Click the upload attachment tab.

Use the [Browse] button and browse to the skin folder where all the skincontroller.ggsk files are located.
Once you have found the skin.ggsk you need mouse over highlight the file name and click the [Add the file] and it will copy the file to the Pano2VR server and embed it as a text link in your comment.

---------------------
At one time mine was located c:\program files\Pano2VR\skin unless you have relocated your \skin folder.

I moved my \skin folder to my external L:\ drive. You can relocate your Directories Skin, Controller and Template by clicking on FILE | Settings | find the Directories on top right corner of the settings box.
---------------------
Hope this helps
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Bigwunder

Bingo!

Thanks for the tip, I didn't see the upload attachment tab, My mistake, I can always count on you for a quick and detailed response.

This file
RLS office.ggsk
(996.84 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
is really just a bastardized version of the one I pulled off the website so I could get my feet wet with it but it should help a more experienced user find out where I might have gone wrong with my alignment.

Hopefully I can get this issue figured out so I can move on to some others, like connecting hotspots to change the active position on the mini-map and opening to the current pano on the map etc.

I do appreciate any aid that you guys are able to provide.
Thanks again,
Bill
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Bill
First off, you’re very close :D
In the Radar Beam element action put an “Init - Set Element Angle xxx - Self

This gets the Radar Beam pointing in the right direction when you first open the pano.
Then add the “MouseClick - Set Element Angle xxx - Radar Beam” to the hot spot in the floor plan.

I know this is a concept, but when designing your skin put the hotspot labels above the hotspot so when hovered over you can see the labels and the mouse does not get in the way.

All the best
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Bigwunder

Thanks Hopki,
I think that did the trick. I was able to update my website today and it looks much better.
I also think that I had the modifier set right on the mini-map buttons but the skin did not know how to read the angle because I didn't have the correct command in the radar beam modifiers. Furthermore, I found that when trying to set the angle it appears that on the skin of the mini-map, that 0degrees is at 12 o'clock and 180 degrees is at 6 o'clock. It took a little trial and error to make some of the panos work but I was able to use these bearings to fine tune my angle. It also explained why some of the angles on the tutorial were negative, -45 degrees is also 315 degrees from 0 or 12 o'clock.

one thing I noticed on one of my panos was that when I reset the default view it changed the default of 0 degrees being at 12 o'clock but I was able to look at what I had and make an adjustment based on the current position to what I needed.

Wow, thanks for bearing with me on this, I know I wasn't exactly clear at first on what I was asking, but you hung in there and helped me fix the problem, I hope this post will help others with the same issue.

Thanks a ton,
Bill
360Texas

Not sure but I think a

Flash projection viewing angle 0 deg X,0 deg Y degrees (0,0) might be mid center of the flat panorama. Meaning 50% from left to right and 50% from top down to bottom. So your initial view will be at mid center of the image. So with 0 being mid center, then -90 would be to the left. +90 would be to your right. So its -180 around to center 0 and +180 around to the right = total 360 degrees.

For QTVR I think x and y 0,0 is upper left corner of the panorama flat image.

For Flash... in Photo shop you can rotate your center of interest to the mid center by FILTERS | Other | Offset then move the center of interst to the middle by dragging the image to the center. The image scrolls off the right edge and appears back on the left edge. Then you probably do not have to be concerned about what angle of view appears first.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com