Making hotspots glow in centre of view

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
erik leeman

Hi all,
Since I normally don't want my hotspots to spoil the view in my panoramas I prefer to make them very 'low profile', but naturally that makes them difficult to spot, which defeats their purpose. To make it easier to find them I had the idea to make them 'glow' the moment they pass the centre of the screen when the visitor is panning the pano. Having the idea is one thing, making it work is yet another : ) Does anyone have a clue how to do this? I don't need a complete solution, just a pointer in the right direction would be a great help.
Thanks in advance!

Erik Leeman

....thinking about it, I think I need a stationary vertical box that 'unhides' selected skin elements that move with the panorama, or two vertical lines that toggle visibility. Something like that....hmmm
Wim.Koornneef

Hello Erik,

You could place a large invisible element in the pano with a mouseover action that triggers the visibility (alpha) of the hotspot button.
As soon as the mouse hits this element the hotspot button will be visible but not exactly glowing.
If you place multiple invisible elements each triggering a different alpha value you could simulate something that looks like glowing, the closer the mouse comes to the hotspot button the more alpha value it will get. I am sure you get the idea.
But this will only work when the mouse is in the image, also to get it working a lot of work has to be done and I am not sure if this is worth the efforts.

Perhaps someone else has a better idea.

Best,
Wim
erik leeman

Hi Wim!

Of course making the hotspots glow (or whatever) with a [mouse enter] as source is no problem, but that is not what I meant.
What I want is an invisible stationary box that triggers/toggles an action when selected skin elements enter/leave it.
So I need the mouse cursor effect, but caused by another skin element so to speak.

An alternative method could be....masking : )
I already need skin masks to hide parts of skin elements, like the left and righthand sections of the compass band so only the centre is visible, but I could also use it here to hide the 'glowing' versions of the hotspots except for a vertical slot in the centre of the view.
That wouldn't look very nice with a mask with sharp edges, so an option for soft edged masks would be even better.

Pleaseplease, pretty please?

Erik
Wim.Koornneef

erik leeman wrote: What I want is an invisible stationary box that triggers/toggles an action when selected skin elements enter/leave it.
Hello Erik,

I like your idea but as far as I know this is not (yet) possible, so you have to find another route....

BTW, even with soft masking of a slot I am not sure if the effect will be acceptable.
When the pano is slowly turning you see a small part of the hotspot button become visible, but not the whole button. To get it fully appearing the width of the soft part must be set very wide over a big part of the screen and even then the result is probably not as you want it.
I think a fast glowing up of the button as a whole with just a small rotation of the pano would be best.

Best,
Wim
erik leeman

Wim.Koornneef wrote:I think a fast glowing up of the button as a whole with just a small rotation of the pano would be best.
I fully agree! But masking is the only workaround I can think of right now if, or as long as, nothing better is available/possible.

Cheers,

Erik
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
Just as a thought, why not fade the hot spots out so they can just be seen as you want to do.
Then put a Hotspot Hint text box or graphic in one of the corners. Set the action “mouse enter” to set the Alpha to 1 on the hotspots, then on mouse leave set it back :?:

I know it’s not what you want but at least every one will know what to do.
As I said, just a thought. :)

Cheers Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
erik leeman

Thanks Hopki, but that is (almost) what I have now.
It's effective allright, but not very pretty (to say it mildly).

I really hope some form of masking will be possible eventually, as well as pop-up screens with external content within a fullscreen pano.
Maybe Father Christmas rewards me for being a good boy all this year, fingers crossed ; )

Cheers!

Erik