a DevalVR-like compass

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
erik leeman

Just thought of another thing: in a series of linked panoramas you want the offset to be correct for each individual pano, but all will 'inherit' the skin, and thus the offset of the initial one! That's not good of course, so something has to be done about that....., let's see how it works with those radars again : )

erik
Wim.Koornneef

Hello Erik,

With beta4 the Offset X/Y for the radar can be set automaticly for every pano in the map but the start angle of the radar has to be set manually for every pano.
I hope that the process for setting the start angle of the radar can be simplyfied in a future version.

Success,

Wim
erik leeman

Hi Wim!

I must admit that I am struggling with this linking business.
Behaviour of the skin elements I am using is not all as I would expect, I get one (unwelcome) surprise after the other : (
For a set of just two interlinked panos I don't want a map in view, so I made an invisible dummy with ditto proxy hotspots.
Now I am trying to get the offset of the compass image to change with each 'hop', so it points to the North correctly in each pano.
Haven't got it working yet.....grrrrr!

Cheers!

Erik
firehell

yes,
No mask in pano2vr to used.
so just try this, maybe can be a same effect
u can show and hide the compass too.

maybe this is the simple way in 2.2 beta4
.jpg
.jpg (111.64 KiB) Viewed 9490 times
http://cq.panomap.cn/gch/firehell/compass2/index.html
erik leeman

Setting/resetting the 'Move X according to Pan value'-Offset through an Action isn't possible I think, the Offset that is changed in the Action is the position of the compass image itself, which is not the Offset I want to change. I need a parameter like 'Angle' used for the radar, and it doesn't seem to be available. Dead end so it seems : (

Erik
Last edited by erik leeman on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik leeman

Hi Firehell,

Yes, I already did that in my first rotating compass prototype, but as I explained earlier it is not the type I am after.
Alas I may be forced to use a rotating compass after all, because there seems to be no usable parameter for correcting North-orientation for a linear-type compass when linking a series of panos. *sigh*

Regards,

Erik
erik leeman

Perhaps it does work after all using that 'Offset' parameter!

Here are two interlinked panoramas with their band-type compasses orientated correctly after switching:

http://tinyurl.com/schiermonnikoog-small (choose the Flash version in the selection box if necessary).
Look for the red lighthouse in the first one : )

Let's see if I can make the full-screen ones work as well.

Erik
firehell

I can't understand accurately your mean for my poor english.
pano2vr 2.2b4 has no mask leayer, thus to hid something seems to be impossible.

it means the lenear-type compss will crosss full width of the screen.

about the "Angle" parameter , I think "Pan"(-180 to 180)= the "Angle" of panorama.
so every time ,maybe u can set the any other panorama's be loaded by the "Angle" u want.
then all the panoramas will be show as the visitor's path directions.

make sure that u take the first frame photo with same diections(for example all to East ) when u take a panorama photo in every scene.
then u can easy to get the correctly direction to match the compass for each panorama (u just rotate the compass PIC to correct angle)
then set different ID of hotspot by visitor's path directions in each panorama,
even there are more than one hotspot point to same scene, but they have different ID name.
so, maybe u can easy to set the different angle as one panorama's initialization angle.

for sample:
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... =13&t=1568
erik leeman

Hi Firehell,

I think you describe more or less what I did to make the example in the link (http://tinyurl.com/schiermonnikoog-small).

It would be great if Thomas could add skin masks (if at all possible), partially hiding elements can be very useful I think.

Cheers,

Erik
firehell

hi erik
yes,
mask is necessary.
I hope Thomas could allow the SWF MIC be added to sikn yet :)
that is useful more ....

Regards,

FireHell
erik leeman

Yesss! it also works with the fullscreen versions now, splendid!

Cheers!

Erik
thomas
Chief Gnome

firehell wrote: I hope Thomas could allow the SWF MIC be added to sikn yet :)
that is useful more ....
This will happen in Pano2VR 2.3.
MfG, Thomas
erik leeman

Just uploaded a 5-node linked tour of the ruins and its surroundings of Castell de Saldes, a Cathar castle from the 13th century, situated in Parc natural del Cadí-Moixeró, Bergueda Cataluña (Spain) on the south-east edge of the Pyrenees. The Flash versions have a compass that resets itself correctly at each node, and it can be switched on and off.
The hotspots are not too conspicuous because I don't want to litter my panos with brightly coloured blobs, so you'll have to look well to spot them all : )

large (fullscreen) versions (3.5-4.5MB each): http://tinyurl.com/cadi-moixero-large
smaller (non-fullscreen) versions (1-1.5MB each): http://tinyurl.com/cadi-moixero-small

I still have to tweak the initial viewing parameters a bit, but at least the proxy hotspots all seem to work well.
This is a great technique, with lots of yet unexplored possibilities!
Thanks Thomas!

Cheers,

Erik Leeman
Griffo

Hi Eric, I love this. How did you mask the sides of the compass?
erik leeman

Hi Griffo,

I just drew two white rectangles with an Alpha of 0,3 and positioned them over the compass ribbon.
Sadly real masking is as yet impossible with Pano2VR.

Erik