a DevalVR-like compass

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
erik leeman

Hi all,
I'd like to make a compass for Flash like I have in some of my DevalVr panos. It would seem obvious to me that Pano2VR's radar could somehow be (mis)used for this, but I haven't yet studied it in detail. Did any of you make something like this already, and did it work?
It would be nice to know before I spend hours on it only to find it can't be done.
Thanks!

Erik Leeman
firehell

http://www.panomap.cn/bbs/thread-102-1-1.html

maybe it's helpful for you.
it s from a chinese user, and there is a perfect compass in his works.

first,u must be reply, and then u will get the download site about this compass SKIN of pano2vr
erik leeman

Thanks Firehell, I had a look,but... ehhh, it all looks very, well, like chinese to me.
I really haven't got a clue what it is all about, sorry.

Regards,

Erik Leeman
ThomasK

Here are the files from the posting on Firehell's chinese panomap.cn forum.
I posted a note on the cinese forum about the crossposting of these files, but I think it's ok. Otherwise I will delete them.
Attachments
infobak_ok.rar
(82.9 KiB) Downloaded 645 times
compass.rar
(58.38 KiB) Downloaded 636 times
Last edited by ThomasK on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik leeman

Thanks Thomas!

Perhaps mr. Firehell can tell us if the maker allows us to adapt and/or use it?

Regards,

Erik Leeman
firehell

erik leeman wrote:Thanks Thomas!

Regards,

Erik Leeman
Sure
tonesh

firehell wrote:
erik leeman wrote:Thanks Thomas!

Regards,

Erik Leeman
Sure
Really nice graphics mr. Firehell!
thanks for sharing! (obviously I adapted all colors...)
http://www.studioargento.com/p2vr/
Toni
erik leeman

It's a good start indeed! But I'd like to make it look more like the Deval compass, so I don't want the indicators to be visible over the entire width of the screen. I haven't yet found a way to mask their visibility left and right of the centre, any ideas anyone? In other words, I want to make some sort of a 'window' through which the dials or arrows of the compass are visible, without obscuring the rest of the panorama. Not sure if that is possible though.

Cheers,

Erik
erik leeman

This method appears to be very non linear, not really what I'm looking for.
Hmmm, I think what I need is a very small cilindrical 'panorama' with the compass on it, project it in the big one, and then link their pan angles.
Showing a panorama in a panorama....is that possible?
erik leeman

As an alternative I've made a rotating disk. That was very easy, with Rotate linked to Pan in the Modifiers menu.
But again, how do I mask the parts I don't want to see? Or, how to make a window for a just a small part of the rotating disk?

Erik
firehell

Make good use of radar,it will be changed to COMPASS well
erik leeman

This is a simple version of the basic idea:
http://tinyurl.com/moddergat-small

Not very pretty, downright ugly to be honest, but essentially what I want.
I'd much prefer an endless band type to this rotating one, maybe like those Flash and Javascript banners, but not over the full width of the screen.

Hmmm...

Erik
erik leeman

I've got a band-type compass now.
Finding the proper width of the .png for a 360 degree scale and the exact Modifier factor to lock it to the rotation of the pano is difficult.
Also giving it an Offset in the Actions/Modifiers menu to get it pointing North breakes it at 180 degrees rotation.
To work around that one the band has to cover more than 360 degrees, so there is some overlap to close the gap.
Accuracy is so-so, only the centre is usable because of non-linearity to the left and right.
Now I still need to find a way to mask away those unwanted parts......

Cheers,

Erik
Last edited by erik leeman on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firehell

I have tried to build a new compass SKIN
.jpg
.jpg (134.64 KiB) Viewed 12396 times
Online Example Link:

http://cq.panomap.cn/gch/firehell/compass/index.html
erik leeman

Thanks mr. Firehell, it looks very nice. However I need that compass for a technical purpose, not as trivial eyecandy so to speak, so it needs to be both accurate and easy to read. A rotating compass as such seems to be much more accurate than the band type I've been able to make so far, but it has to be VERY large to have enough room for a fine scale, thus bloating the .swf more than would seem necessary.
I guess Thomas has to implement a special function to make a really accurate band-type compass possible, so I hope he sees the possibilities for such a feature : )
Also masking layers to make skin elements partly visible/invisible (like a 'porthole' or window) would be very welcome!

Regards,

Erik