Does it need so many thumbnails?

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
deedee123

I'm now finishing my first bigger project, and checking things that pano2VR generates, see if i can make it a bit faster to load..
In my project i now have

menu for touch
menu for click
thumbnail row for normal screens
thumbnail row for small / portrait screens

it seems Pano2VR generates the same thumbnails for each of them, AND thumbnail for hotspot popup.. while actually they could all use the same image, perhaps resizing them somewhat.
20200706_120436.jpg
20200706_120436.jpg (18.56 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
I might be wrong but this seems to make the skin much more 'heavy' than necessary?
if this is true it's much faster loading to just manually make the menu with the default hotspot image.

// -> edit: I also found that at the very first load some video background screen i added in the skin is downloaded already, an element which some viewers may never need, if they are not interested in the video's. another example: on a normal home computer all images from the mobile menu are also loaded, of course those won't be used.

is there any way to prevent the loading of certain image elements at the first view, or on some devices? this could speed things up a bit i think.

david
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
No, if all your node images are the same size then Pano2VR only needs one set of thumbnails.
In the default skins, the node images are all the same size, but some have scaling applied to make them a different size in the output.
If you make all the node images the same size but make multiple builds it is possible it makes more.
But as a recommendation, on your final build bin the output and then create a new output.
You will only get one set of thumbnails and any files and only files needed for the tour,

The default skin is built to be used with all features, this is why it makes more sense to build a skin using only components you will need.
But this said the elements in the skin are so small you probably would not notice any real-world download time differences if you did strip out all unwanted elements.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
deedee123

aha, i wish there was a "did you know?'' Pano2VR site with these kind of less obvious tips!
i added a few of the extra components from this forum but didn't know i had to re-adjust images to keep size the same.
it did the trick, no more double images..

indeed once you know what all elements are doing, you can start from scratch. however, as newbie (although i did some programming years ago) i took the "i'll remove later what i don't seem to need" approach. because there are also things (possible pitfalls) you don't think of when you build the fist project, like difference between click and touch, and IOS not doing full screen button, etc.

anyway i reduced the number of thumbnails now, and learned something new!

thanks,
david