"cardboard.ggt" & Samsung Gear VR viewing

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
360Texas

Decided to go back to using Firefox for PC. Using a CTRL + o (oh) I now can access my local files Explorer... browse down to my pano2vr and project folder - click on /output / filename.html.... and project will play locally from my C:/ hard drive.

Who knew... some Firefox forum folks already knew this.

Now need to learn how to access my smart phone local files with CTRL +o

and run /output / filename.html and default to firefox 44.0.2

Still working on this...
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
stalwart

good workaround for now using an external Flash drive & USB A female to micro USB male short cable, but this won't of course work for the Gear VR....
stalwart

Dave - which would you say is the best free FTP app for Android? So many to choose from in Google Play!
360Texas

Hmm we currently do not use FTP client on Samsung S7 because our development work is done on PC then FTP up to server using fast internet connection.

For file management we just USB 2 connect S7 to PC for file exchange.

On our PC we use the free FileZilla.

But since you asked we did on our PC go to google Play Store and searched for FTP software.

As you mentioned we did find over 100+ FREE 4+ Star FTP Android 6.0 Marshmallow apps. Didn't look at less than 4 star group
Most were Client or Server via Wi-Fi some were Bluetooth.

I understand your dilemma. Which one to choose ?

Maybe other Forum members use Android 6.01 FTP software and can recommend ease of use software ?
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

Surprise !

UPS shipper reports our Gear VR's will arrive at our local phone store today at 3:30pm (UTC -6) local Texas Time.

Probably will go to the phone store tomorrow to pick up both sets.

NEXT to learn how to use them. AND how to use the Oculus Web browser - attempt to see our panorama on our web site.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

Ok got ours setup, registered, and even tried them. Will reserve comments until y'all get yours up and running. Then we can share comments

I DID FIND on Oculus several stock panoramas. The all looked great ! But it was Oculus software 360 Photo set of images.

Must find and download that Oculus Web Browser. Oculus 360 photos quality (I did not see any hotspots) look very much like our Garden Gnome Software quality.

Speak up when you are ready !
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

Great NEWS - IT WORKS ON THE INTERNET downloading and using the Samsung - Web browser - BETA app.. please note I have yet to download to the S7 the updates

I got the Gear VR to go out on the internet -> to our 360texas.com website.. browse to our -> gallary and CLICK on a panorama.
The HOTSPOTS WORK ! So WE can view the entire multi node HTML5 TOUR !

To Download the Grear VR Web browser

Locate and tap Samsung Gear VR image box in the HOME area. Then download it to your s7 phone.
Then tap this Samsung Gear Vr tile and it will let you go to internet and browse to your website... and click your favorite panorama Tour.

Tomorrow more specific instructions about where to find the Samsung Web Browser Beta download to your S7 smart phone.

Can I find the Web browser app on our S7 smart phone ? .. I looked and it does not look like its an app on our phone ... just yet.. maybe I just need to look more.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

Samsung "Gear VR Web Browser Beta"

Lessons learned

New term for Gear Vr / Oculus users :

"Gaze" Means to move head to relocate the stare (gaze) small + pointer over the button you want to activate by tapping the head gear mouse pad. Like using your hand mouse pointer to move to button then left mouse click to activate.
"[Back] button" located above the head gear mouse pad. Means to press and hold to go back 1 page. Like using your mouse pointer up to the browser back arrow <- to go back one page

Browsing:
Select, cut and paste into the browser URL bar technique is not possible with head gear. So that leaves: gaze (like mouse over) and select (tap) to perform the button function.

Panorama Website pages : Make your web site URL path VERY SHORT... 360texas.com has a easy to use gaze/tap nav bar . Tap 3 bar Menu icon to display large bar page categories like [home] [ Gallery ] [About us]

using the Samsung Web browser search - its nearly impossible to visually tap a long url containing mixed symbol path to the panoramas. Using smart phones voice command might be easier.

Examples:
Poor site page nav layout: https://mywebsite/mainpage/forum/postin ... 13&t=10792 to many mixed alpha/numeric characters. With Gear VR web browser - it will take you 20 minutes to gaze and tap.
Better site page nav layout: mywebsite/gallery/ This would open to a single page with many large button links to panorama.

Placing your URL link to your 3D/2D panorama here in forum does not mean we can cut/paste the link into our Samsung Gear VR using smartphone browser. So keep the URL very short.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
BParker

Dave:

I have a Gear VR Innovator Edition with a Note 4 phone. When I use the Samsung Beta browser to go to 360Texas.com, it renders the site in a square window. I can't seem to get it to expand out to the full 360 viewing experience. Are there any tricks to getting that to work? Were there any additional packages you had to install or any settings you had to adjust?

Thanks,
Ben
360Texas

Hi Ben,

I suspect we are using the HOME version with a Samsung galaxy s7 edge.
2 types of a PC or Mac full screens. One is a full browser window. The other is a full monitor.

To increase the panel size gaze up to [zoom] and it will increase/decrease the browser carousel panel size up to I think [from 1 to 6] but the panel will not cover the full field of view.

Because of your question about full screen, using our headgear and I revisited our website panoramas.
The Samsung Internet Browser Beta seems to use a Carousel panel application to display each web page. We had our website a panel home page, 2 or 3 open panorama pages each in their own panel.
I believe that even tapping on our browser carousel panel panorama's toolbar 'full screen' icon... it did expand a full browser window (read carousel panel). Oculus 360Photo sample is like a full monitor screen.

I suspect we might need to find a different browser for the Samsung Head gear to get a true full screen like Oculus 360Photo. ALL our panoramas on our site have Pano2vr's 'Full screen' option enabled. On our s7 we have installed latest versions of FoxFire, Google Chrome, and Samsung Internet 4.0.01.89. The Samsung Internet Browser Beta appears not to be the same as the 4.0.01.89. From the Headgear menu selection.. I do not see a way to start either of the 3 installed on the s7.

I learned while using pink/purple icon panel called "Samsung Internet Browser Beta :

I still need to rebuild these panoramas with gyroscope enabled.
By returning to Samsung browser settings I found a "screen capture" and a "video capture options."
Selecting the screen capture feature saw a red dot in upper right corner meaning that s7 was ready to take a screen capture very soon. So I moved my head around to the screen area I wanted to capture and tapped the mouse pad. The s7 responded by capturing of that particular screen area. First some screen capture information and then I will upload 3 screen captures which better illustrate our findings.

Please note the browser blue circle gazing icon is centered in each screen capture image.

Screen capture image:
dimensions are 1024 x 1024 pixels
Image size are small 64 - 81kb
File format is .jpg
Using our PC Files Explorer I found files are stored on the s7 storage area path: DavesPc / Daves Phone/ Oculus/ Screenshots

file names are not sequential --> Image 1 com.sec.android.app.svbrowser-20160318-102341.jpg 2 was ......102230.jpg 3 was .....102446.jpg

Images show the browser carousel panels:
com.sec.android.app.svrbrowser-20160318-102341[1].jpg
com.sec.android.app.svrbrowser-20160318-102341[1].jpg (80.82 KiB) Viewed 5778 times
com.sec.android.app.svrbrowser-20160318-102430[1].jpg
com.sec.android.app.svrbrowser-20160318-102430[1].jpg (74.55 KiB) Viewed 5778 times
com.sec.android.app.svrbrowser-20160318-102341[1].jpg
com.sec.android.app.svrbrowser-20160318-102341[1].jpg (80.82 KiB) Viewed 5778 times
Attachments
com.sec.android.app.svrbrowser-20160318-102446[1].jpg
com.sec.android.app.svrbrowser-20160318-102446[1].jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 5778 times
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

Found this interesting article How to view your own panoramas in Gear VR. Its a step by step technique.

This might be a fix for viewing your work locally using Gear VR head gear. But not browsing on your website. 360 photo is a single panorama image. I do not think it can use skins, multi res, hotspots etc
Photos taken by the RICOH THETA and Google's Photo Sphere are confirmed to be compatible with Oculus 360 Photos. Any JPEG photos with either an equirectangular projection (recommended 4096x2048) or a cube map (recommended 1536x1536 per cube side) will render in the application.
https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/art ... 360-Photos
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

Took a native format panorama THETA S 5376x2688 and copy/pasted it to our Theta folder on our PC. Named it image1.jpg

Connected the Samsung G S7 to our PC Win 10 using a USB 2 data/power cable that came with the Galaxy s7 smartphone.

Used PC's Files and folders Windows Explorer browsed to our G s7 directory structure... found the /Oculus folder

Created new folder /360Photos so now path is /Oculus/360Photos
Created new folder My Images so now path is /Oculus/360Photos/My Images
Copied image1.jpg from PC the Theta S image to /Oculus/360Photos/My Images/ image1.jpg

Disconnected the data/power cable from the S7 smartphone.

Attached the S7 smartphone to the Gear VR headset

Gear Vr started up in the HOME page
Gazed to Oculus 360Photos panel and tapped
Had to scroll/swipe through other panels but finally found My Images panel and tap selected it
Found image1.jpg with note Author unknown and gazed over panel and tap select it.

WOW it works I could see our World Wide Panorama entry called TRAVEL. I sitting in my office swivel chair... rotated chair to move around the panorama.

One issue.. 360Photos viewer only uses single equirectangler image. The Oculus Support page does talk about limiting 4096x2048 but Theta S stock image size 5376x2688 works well too. The single panorama does not use Multi Res, hotspots, skins.

More later
Dave
Visit 360texas.com