Sound Problem in HTML5 output

Special forum to share and discuss skins for Pano2VR and Object2VR
phoenix

Hi,

I have a problem regarding sounds in my html5 output. We are working on a tour with many audio files (mp3) in the skin, which are played when specific info buttons are clicked. The volume of all the sound objects in the skin is set to 0 as default. We have two extra buttons for turning the sound on and off (mouseclick sets the volume to 1 or 0). Furthermore when a sound is played and an other info button is clicked the first sound stops and the second is played. Using regular expressions in the form #[A-Za-z]*_info_[123456789]_sound works just fine for the flash output. Switching to html5 output however this doesn´t work anymore. For example the mute/unmute button seems to do nothing. After checking everything multiple times I removed the regular expression and used the specific file name and this does the trick! But doing this for a lot of filenames just doesn´t seem to be a good idee. Furthermore I don´t understand why this doesn´t work for audio but for other things in the skin.
Hoping someone can give me a hint.

(And sorry english is not my native language)
phoenix

Hi,

so I removed all the regular expressions and put in the specific files names. This seems to do the trick on almost all browsers except on mobile devices. On mobile devices its very strange, maybe a bug. I get it, that IOS is special regarding volume control, but even on android its strange.
The sound files in the skin are all set to volume 0, lets say the name is sound1. I have a button in the skin, with the action

mouse click -> video/sound start -> target sound 1

On mobile devices the sound is played despite the volume set to 0.

I have another button in my skin with the action

mouse click -> video/sound stop -> target sound1

This button stops the sound, no problem. But if I click the start button again the sound doesn´t play (Volume 0); I have to press my unmute button for the sound to play.

So the big question is: Why is the sound played at the first click (ignoring the volume 0) and not on all other clicks after this?

Really need help in this matter.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi phoenix,
Which version of Pano2VR are you using?
If 4 or 5 I would not put lots of sound files in the skin, use the Media Editor (V4) or sound viewer mode (V5).
Each sound has an ID which can be addressed in the skin.
The sounds should be set to Loop -1. This stops the sound playing when the project opens.
Other wise even though the sounds are set to volume to 0 they are all still playing taking up valuable resources.

When a sound is required you just use a Play Media action targeting the ID.
Regular expressions should work in HTML5?

Apple devices are a problem as you can not control volume, however not really tested with Android devices, I have a Nexus 7 which I can test with later.

Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
phoenix

Hi Hopki,

thanks for the reply. I am using version 4. We decided to put the sounds in the skin instead of the Media Editor, because we wanted to be able to control all the sounds in one place instead of adding the sound to each different panorama. Why shouldn't the sound files be put in the skin?

Regular expressions work in HTML5; I am using them to hide different textboxes. But if I try to use the same regular expressions with sound names it doesn't work. I have to name each sound file explicit. I still don't understand where the difference is.

The problem with IOS I am aware of. The android behaviour I don't understand. As I said the sound is played the first time (volume 0) but not the second or third time ... On desktop browsers this works like it should.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi phoenix,
I have bug tracked Regular expressions not working.
Regards to the Android problem, can you give me more details regarding device and OS.
Browser used and have you tried in more than one browser?
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
phoenix

Hi Hopki,

sorry for the late reply (Vacation). Does this mean that you confirmed that regular expressions are bugged for HTML audio?
For the android problem, I will send you a link for testing if you like.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Does this mean that you confirmed that regular expressions are bugged for HTML audio?
Yep.
For the android problem, I will send you a link for testing if you like.
That would be good but I still need to know the information I asked, I need to know Device, OS and browsers tested.
There are so many differences between devices when it comes to Android it is important to know.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
phoenix

Hi Hopki,

I finally fixed the sound problem for all mobile devices except IOS. The mute/unmute is still not working in IOS, but that was to be expected. But there is another problem that drives me crazy in IOS.
I have several buttons that start playing different information texts. When I click on a map to open a new panorama the sound should stop (mouse click -> audio/video stop -> Target soundfile....) Since regular expressions aren´t working for sounds in html I have a action for each soundfile. In IOS the sound doesn`t stop when clicking. The strange thing is, that if I let play the sound to the end and start the sound again its working as it should. Any ideas?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Phoenix,
I opened your link with an iPhone and clicked the red information hotspot.
As the speech was playing I opened the map and switched nodes. As soon as I clicked the maps hotspot the speech stopped and the map hid.
Looking at what you you wrote I thought it may be something to do with loading and what actions you are using but as said when tested all works ok for me.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
phoenix

Hi Hopki,

thanks four your reply. Good service as always. Which IOS Version are you using? Maybe it has something to do with the version.
Hopki
Gnome

iOS 9.1 on an iPhone 6S.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
phoenix

I upgraded to IOS 9.x and it seems to work now. Thanks.